GOOD day!!

Its my nature to be grouchy, but I have to make a choice
to have a
great attitude no matter what comes my way!
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, kindess, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."
Galations 5:22





Saturday, February 16, 2008

Favoritism

fa·vor·it·ism [fey-ver-i-tiz-uhm, feyv-ri-]
Pronunciation
–noun
1.the favoring of one person or group over others with equal claims; partiality: to show favoritism toward the youngest child.
2.the state of being a favorite.

Have you ever experienced this thing called favoritism?
Either yourself being partial or bias to something or someone?
Or have you been a victim to such discrimination?

More than likely you have answered yes to both these questions, because we are a fallen people who live in a fallen world where selfish intentions can motivate us, or sin can blind us to such partisanship.

I have recently experienced favoritism, and it does not feel good. So out of my emotions, hurts, and anger, I chose to look up what the Word says about favoritism. And I found these verses in the book of James, chapter two:

1My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism.

8If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. 9But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

12Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

WOW! For some reason reading this passage has given me so much freedom and peace. On Bible Gateway (one of my favorite online Bibles) you can search favoritism, and find there is so much written about it. Click here to see.

Does God show favoritism? I dont think so! The Word, which is my source of truth, says in plain words "For God does not show favoritism." Romans 2:11

So, as the commandament goes "Love your neighbor" I must choose to show mercy and forgivness to those who trespass against me, and hold no judegement OR discrimination for their acts of favoritism, for I would want the same for myself.

Plus I know there is only one Lawgiver and Judge- God. We will all stand before God's judgment seat. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's heart. (Which convicts me to keep a clean pure heart!)

What more can I do? Except share this enlightenment with all of you!


1 comment:

kathy Strickland said...

I too have struggled with this situation myself. To experience it as a child or teenager, it can color your views toward many things as well as lead to bitterness or on the positive side spurn you to treat others as you long to be treated.

I am glad that God reminds us in His word that if we use our experience as an opprtunity to grow and forgive, then we do not find ourselves victims easily pushed about by the whimps of others.

God sees us all the same His child, I know it must please Him when we make choices based on His love for us and not what someone has done to us.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and urging us to be more Christlike in our point of view concerning favoritism