GOOD day!!

Its my nature to be grouchy, but I have to make a choice
to have a
great attitude no matter what comes my way!
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, kindess, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."
Galations 5:22





Saturday, May 17, 2014

Want to make an impact on the world??????


Then start with one person at a time. Disciple someone.

If we are believers, we ought to desire to "make disciples" not only because we were commanded to do so by Jesus in the book of Matthew. (His words demand that we teach those whom we reach.) But because we would want to raise up a generation of leaders who are steadfast in Christ.

If I polled my friends, I can almost guarantee a low percentage of them disciple someone. Why is this? Why are we failing to conserve and enlist our people to fruitfulness?

Is it just plain laziness? Or just the lack of time and making it a priority? Could it be that we just don't know HOW to disciple someone??

I was encouraged just recently when someone asked for direction when it comes to discipling someone. She knew I would have some knowledge for I have been faithful in this area for a few years now. The Lord had burdened my heart to teach those within my reach during the spring of 2010. Since then I have made it a priority to give a slice of my time over to someone wanting to meet and grow.

I gave this person a few practicals and wanted to share them here, just in case there is someone out there needing some direction.

Discipling someone is easy, as long as you know your parameters and you know what they need from you in this season. In order to have purpose and direction, I like to send some thoughts to ponder to the person I will be discipling ahead of time. We talk through these thoughts during our first time together.

Thoughts to Ponder
How often will we meet? How long will we meet? Lets commit to a time period.
What do you need in this season?
What are you believing for?
What can I keep you accountable to?
Do you have any goals I can help you accomplish?
Any areas you want to grow?
What does the format of this meeting need to look like? Would you like us to just gather, talk through your journey and highlight all God is doing and finish with prayer? OR would you like to do some type of study? A study is good if the Lord is highlighting a particular growth area, or focus in this season.

We discuss these things during our first gathering and lay out our calendar. I think its best to schedule a semester at a time. You never know what the future holds. At this first time, we both agree to commit and devote ourselves to this time period.

I generally take notes all throughout the time frame of discipship. Its good to see the goals accomplished, the Lord to show breakthroughs, and to commemorate any victories. It is also good to keep me on track so that I may pray for this person with precision.

I truly trust God to lead me in this process and I'm always trying to find fresh Word to pass on or a fighter verse to help bring victory. I ask the Holy Spirit to guide each time before we meet. Apart from Christ I can do nothing.

Things the discipled person does not need from you:
-Perfection
-A Lecture
-A Sermon
-All the Answers
-A Narration of your life

Things the discipled person does need from you:
-Humility
-Consistency
-Prayer
-A Person to Dialog with
-A fresh Word- Scriptures
-Accountability

May God stir your heart to fulfill His great commission. May He bring those within your reach to teach and may there be much fruit to come of it!

In His Grace,
Tressa Strickland

No comments: