GOOD day!!

Its my nature to be grouchy, but I have to make a choice
to have a
great attitude no matter what comes my way!
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, kindess, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."
Galations 5:22





Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Half Empty/Half Full

Is this cup half empty or half full?

Lately, I've been contemplative about what its like to fully have a THANKFUL heart.

I've drawn a conclusion that when I have a pessimistic outlook on any type of situation in life (the glass is half empty)- I tend to be more ungrateful. And when I have a optimistic outlook on any type of situation in life(the glass is half full)- I tend to be more thankful.


Half Empty- PESSIMISTIC:
I think about the times I look at my life "half empty". I can focus on the things I dont have, or the things that aren't complete, or aren't perfect, or aren't entirely fixed, or not organized. I also think of the bad things- my kids are misbehaving, my husband is not perfect, my friends never call, or even I can go as far as focusing on mistakes, or bad relationships, or past hurts, or missed opportunities. THEN I really can start to feel discontent. I get all torn up into millions of pieces of pitifulness and unhappiness. This is not good. I hate finding myself in this attitude.

Half Full-OPTIMISTIC:
And then I think about the times I look at my life "half full". I can medititate on the things I do have, and the things that are complete, and working. I also think of the good things- my kids do love and care for eachother, my husband is so genuine and loving, my friends really do care for me. I can trail off to meditate on the accomplishments, and tribulations, healing relationships, and opportunities that I've had. THEN I really can start to feel content. I get built up in joy and gratefulness. This is a great place to be.

God's Word gives us intruction as to how to view life, Phillipians 4:8 says: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." I guess God knew that thinking of these mentioned things are better for our minds than the other things we can fill our minds with.

I've heard it once said like this "An undisclipined mind is like a battle field, the enemy can attack from every dircetion. A disclipined mind is like a mighty fortress, nothing can enter into it"

I want to challenge you all, to use Phillipians 4:8 as a filter, to purify the things of your mind. I promise, its a great path to having a THANKFUL heart.

2 comments:

The Gardner's said...

I needed this today, I've been thinking along these lines this week too...thanks for helping to clear it up. I'm always grateful I've had you in my life:)
Love you and Happy Thanksgiving!

kathy Strickland said...

There is so much to be thankful for! Even the simplest of things can spark the feeling of hope when it is recognized as a gift from God.

May great blessing be yours and your cup (glass) over flow according to the riches of our God!